It is generally considered that self esteem is instilled during your youth. It is important not to confuse self esteem with self-confidence; self esteem is a building block for self-confidence. For instance, improving your self esteem boosts your self-confidence and it is usually regarded as the first step towards a better life that is full of happiness.
However, quite a large number of people still find themselves soaked in the epidemic of low self esteem and shyness. At its worst, this can result in depression and anxiety. There is no single way to improve your self esteem, however here are some of tips for how to improve self esteem.
5 Ways to Improve Your Self Esteem
- Take good care of yourself – This is one of the best ways to boost your self esteem. Although it may sound selfish to focus on yourself, you must do this for the benefit of your own esteem. Put your own personal care first before the very good care of others. You may be busy to an extent that you cannot find time to monitor your health by exercising, eating a well-balanced diet, and having regular check-ups. The result of this is that it may make you feel so bad about your appearance, causing your self esteem to drop.
- Change the negative thoughts you have about yourself to positive ones – Negative thoughts such as “I am ugly, nobody likes me, I am dumb, or I am a failure” no doubt worsen your esteem. It is vital that you work directly on changing your negative self-talk by developing a positive statement that refutes each negative statement. For instance, you should learn to think that you are beautiful or handsome instead of thinking that you are ugly. This may feel wrong to begin with, but by practicing it over you will begin believing it and feeling better about yourself.
- Make a list of your accomplishments – Making a list of what you’ve achieved in life provides you with an opportunity to credit yourself for what you have already achieved. As a result, this will change the focus of your thoughts to positive ones. Positive thinking helps your build your self esteem.
- Get Involved – We gain a tremendous boost to our self esteem when we help others or are acknowledged for our work. There are many golden opportunities to engage in activities that will help you build your self esteem. Getting involved is a process which begins with focusing on things and issues that are very important to you like healthcare, education, sports, politics, or whatever you are interested in. If you don’t know how you feel about these issues, get more information by reading some related articles or by listening to what people say. For instance, volunteering in the healthcare system can give a massive boost to your self-esteem. Regardless of the outcome of your involvement, remember that you took the critical first step.
- Get something done – Low esteem can also caused by lack of motivation, which is a consequence of failure to get something done in the expected way. Make a list of things you want done and promise yourself that you will do in the time frame you assigned yourself to. For instance, wash your refrigerator, read an article or book, or cook yourself something healthy. By accomplishing these tasks as you have planned, you will boost your self-esteem.
There are so many other ways on how to improve your self esteem that may go on for the rest of your life. However, the things you do on most occasions will not only make you feel better but also improve the quality of your life. Improving your self esteem is a very worthwhile venture.
*Image from LyndaSanchez.